Monday, September 9, 2013

Post 1st day of school and 1st Greece race

So, a lot has taken place in the last week.  I survived my first day of school as well as my first open half marathon!  I'll start with the first day of school.  I am the type of person who is never really ready.  By that I mean being able to sit down and breathe before the chaos.  I always have five minutes to do ten more things before I can take a breathe and find myself bored.   So, of course, on the first day of school I wasn't ready for the kids to come.  But they came and went and all was well!  They are a bit more talkative than I expected but they seem to be a fun bunch of kids.  There are kids from a variety of different backgrounds, Greek, American, Finnish, Australian, Japanese, Korean, Turkish, Norwegian, Pakistani,  and I am sure a couple of other nationalities.  It is pretty cool to be around so many different nationalities!

I am not quite in the rhythm of this school yet, but it will come with time.  When I was in Salt Lake everything was new at first too...my school...teaching...my friends...my environment and that turned out great!  Now, I get to do it again but where the language is also new.  It will come, I just like routines so I am excited to get into a good one. :)

So, I did my first race here in Greece.  It was a little spur of the moment race that my friend Eddy signed me up for.  He has been such a great help and I can't even imagine what life in Greece would be like if I hadn't met him!!  He was doing the half marathon of Marathon, Greece and so he signed me up too.  Since I got here I haven't really gotten into a workout routine yet either.  I have been running consistently and swimming twice a week in the Mediterranean Sea, so I wouldn't lose all of my fitness but I wasn't doing proper half marathon training, which I do want to do someday to see how fast I could run.

Anyways, the race was pretty cool.  There were around 1,500 people there running, which was really fun to see.  The race course is the same as the first 6 miles in the Athens Classic Marathon and then it turned around and went around the Tomb of the Athenians, where all the soldiers were buried, including the solider that died carrying the news from Marathon to Athens.  My plan for the race was to just see how I feel and run.  However, once the gun goes off, of course the competitive juices start to get the best of me!  I decided that I wanted to run at roughly a 7:00 min/mile pace, which would in turn get me to the finish line around 1:30, which I decided I wanted to be my goal time.  I felt good the first half and really mostly the whole race, except the last 1km, I was totally wishing that the race would end soon.  Other than that little part I felt pretty good and had a good time during the race too.  My final average turned out to be 7:10 min/miles with my final time being 1:35.  So now I have a starting point and with some proper half marathon training I know I can get my time down.

This up coming week I hope to start getting into a routine and figuring out how school works and how workouts work.  I am going to try a spin class later this week, which I hope will work out.  I haven't been on a my bike in about three weeks!  I really need to get some spinning in!  It'll come.  I just need to be patient. :)

I hope all is going well with everyone.  I miss you all soo much!

Sorry Aryn...your eyes were closed on this one.

Eddy and I at the race. 
What I won at the race this morning.  3rd place.


5 comments:

  1. WOOHOO!!! You are amazing! I am loving reading about your adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh good :) Thanks for reading! How is your year going? How is 6th grade? Do you get to see the others? You need to send me an email updating me on your life!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carly, I am so glad you are enjoying yourself. I love hearing about your adventures. I loved having a multi-national class too. I loved learning about their backgrounds. Often they were so much more respectful of me as a teacher. Congrats on the racing. I admire you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Carolyn, Thanks for reading my blog and the kind message!!!! I hope that things are going well at school. I miss Copper Canyon a lot! Oh yes, the international students I love! They have seen so much of the world and they are only 10! Now that I feel a little more settled I am able to enjoy them more-which is wonderful! I hope all is well and I think of you guys often!

      Delete
  4. yaaa wooo hoo! If someone died running the "first marathon" how did this even become a thing to be? haha oh well. bucket list for me too! Remember when we ran our first half marathon together? Well not together but you know ;) I wonder what our times were. I'm sure mom has yours written down somewhere.

    ReplyDelete