Monday, September 2, 2013

Week number 2

Hello friends!!

I hope you are all well and that school started smoothly for all of you!  I miss Copper Canyon and all the students, teachers, the familiar surroundings, and knowing exactly how things work!  Last week the new teachers started orientation and setting up classrooms here at ACS.  I miss my old classroom :(  It was hard to ship things here so I feel as though my classroom is so bare.  Instead of a huge classroom library that I am used to, I am limited to only a few books...okay enough with the negative attitude...I am excited for the first day of school and also for it to be over so I can know how things run and I can get used to the routines here.  I got my class schedule today and it is nice to have some free time during the day while the kids will be in art, music, PE, library, and computers.

Besides school, things are well.  I just got back from a weekend vacation with some of the other American teachers.  We visited two of the Greek Islands: Poros and Hydra.  It was fun to be on the beach again.  Although they are no Hawaiian beach, it was fun to be in a different part of the world on the beach.  The Greek islands are pretty cool and there are so many!  We didn't do too much exploring but I did get to see lots while I was out on my runs.  It was also nice to be able to relax and read my book and not have too much to worry about.  Also I am getting to know my fellow American colleagues better and they are a pretty cool bunch of kids!

Besides school and traveling, I am still trying to find a routine for my workouts.  I can run no problem and I have found a track that is near by my house, swimming doesn't seem like it will be a problem either.  I have been swimming in the ocean with my triathlon friend and I will also start swimming before school once school starts with some of the American teachers, but biking...I haven't quite got that one figured out yet.  My bike is still in pieces and it is my goal to get that put together this week/weekend.  Also, I will visit a spin class this week and see if that will be a good option during the week.  The roads here are crazy and the drivers are crazy..so I am a bit hesitant to go outside for a ride...I have seen a few riders...but not too many.  Hopefully I will start my training soon because that is one thing that I am stressing out about. I really don't want to lose my base and all the hard work that I have already done the past couple of years.  I know it is good to take a break from training since I have been training hard since last November, so I am not too worried, but in a couple of weeks I should have a plan!

Alright, I am off to the grocery store to figure out what to eat here.  Back in Salt Lake I just wrapped everything into a tortilla but I can't really do that here, so I am still figuring out what I will be eating. So far a lot of spaghetti when I am cooking.  The food in the restaurants are great!  I really enjoy the Greek Salads and I have learned to like feta.  I think it is a little different than the feta in the states..maybe not such a strong taste.  Anyways I like it.

Miss you all!

5 comments:

  1. Mmmm love greek feta!! I highly doubt you will lose your fitness base. You are too much of a badass for that. I am glad to hear that everything is going well, but jealous that you still get to swim in the ocean!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We at Copper Canyon miss you too! It is so extremely different. I am excited for all your new adventures, but I want to turn back the clock to last year when we were all together! You have to know that no matter what materials you have, you will have an amazing year because you are an amazing teacher. I know you will bring your love of learning to your students (that is if they don't already have it).

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Art, music, PE, library, and computers" --that seems like a lot of free time! Maybe you'll have the chance to go to the bathroom more than just at lunch! Least one of us can! Hopefully nobody has any peanut allergies so you can bring your trail mix to work :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You would think but there is always so much that has to be done!!!! And my trial mix!! I love it but one girl is allergic to nuts and they also don't have the same stuff to put in it...so it isn't as good...

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete