Friday, April 1, 2016

Bulgaria

Hello again!  Don't worry, my last post wasn't a fake, I am going to get back into the habit of writing again.

Kalomina!  Happy April!!  April!?!?!  What!!?  I have been waiting and waiting for April to arrive :)  I can't wait for Spring Break and my trip back to Hawaii.  I've had a count down, which I am not proud of, but I am just super excited to be back home again. :)

Don't worry though, I am using my time here in Europe wisely.  Last weekend, I took a trip to Bulgaria with some of my friends here.  It was another amazing trip!  This one was a bit different, since we were able to stay with a Bulgarian family.  We stayed in Sofia one night and got in a good walking tour (of course :) ).  Then after the walking tour we wanted to get a quick lunch and walk around and do more exploring.  However, the quick lunch turned into a 2 hour lunch-due to the fact that there was one server and who knows how many cooks!  The food was good and it was nice, but we didn't want to spend 2 hours sitting in a new city!

Anyways, it's all part of the adventure :)  Next, my friend's boyfriend is from Bulgaria, so his family came to pick us up and hang out with us for the weekend.  One minor challenge though, only the 15 year old daughter and one other family member spoke English.  Bulgarian's don't speak a lot of English, so you do what you can :)  Despite that, which again is just part of the experience, everything on our trip was great!  We got to hang out with the 15 year old the entire trip and she is an amazing young women.  She is in a language school and speaks 3 languages and will start another one next year.  It is pretty amazing, what people can do.

During our time there, we ate a lot of food, went to a Bulgarian hot spring bath, went to an outdoor zoo, went to a small quaint town to see what old Bulgaria used to look like, bought a lot of beautiful bowls and plates for my new living place in Hawaii, and I think that is it.  The family we stayed with was pretty amazing!  They were so welcoming and such great people.  Even though we couldn't communicate very well, our smiles and hugs went a long way!

This weekend I am taking it easy.  I have a race on Sunday-a duathlon, that I am looking forward to.  My first bike race in a while.  And other than that just getting things done.  I finally made an appointment for my biyearly haircut.  I just don't get my haircut very often, there is no real reason why.  Anyways, it is my last Saturday in Athens till May, so there are a couple of things that I want to get done, so I am looking forward to it.

The next two weekends I'll be traveling.  First to Bucharest and next to Rhodes.  I hope to write about those later.  :)

In the Honda Civic like car with our boxes of dishes in the back and backpacks on our lap with two other people. :)

The deer that would feed out of people's hands.  I just watched.
Don't get too close...they don't like it. 

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you are seeing the world and have some new friends to do it with. Can't wait to see you.

    ReplyDelete