Monday, April 4, 2016

Getting back in it

Aloha!  I mean--Gia sou--I'm still in Greece, so I should keep practicing my Greek :)

Today I got back into racing!  Over the last month I did two half marathons, which in hind sight, probably wasn't too good for my body.  Although I might look strong, I actually have a pretty fragile body-heart included ;).  The first half marathon went well and I was able to stick to my paces and even go a bit faster, but the second one I fell apart.  The second race, The Athens Half, was a hilly course, which has been foreign to my body.  However, today I competed in a duathlon and I felt nice and strong.  It was a short race, 5k run, 20k bike, and 2.5k run.  I felt good the whole way and I felt that I pushed in the right spots.  My power meter decided not to work which PISSED me off the whole bike!  I mean I paid a lot of money for it not to work!?!?!?  Also, my heart rater monitor hasn't been working, which also annoys me.  Apparently the Garmin heart rate monitors stop working after a while?!!?  Anyone know?  I will try to get it sorted when I go back to the states.  Anyways it was a nice day to be out in the sun running and biking with other people who like to run and bike too.  Afterwards there was a group that went for a swim in the sea, and I thought about if I was in Hawaii I would be part of that group. I am really looking forward to being part of a team and being surrounded by friends and with people who like to do the same things as me.  In Salt Lake, I was just starting to get in with the triathlon community, and then I left and then here in Greece there aren't many girls and I don't speak Greek, so it is a bit harder to get in. Plus I don't have a car-so that is also another challenge.

Other than my race I did a bunch of work.  Oh, last week I applied for a couple teaching positions at Punahou.  It has always been my dream to return to Punahou to teach.  I mean, today on my cool down I was thinking about how I am living my dream right now and when I go back to Hawaii I get to live another dream.  I don't have a job yet, but I will find something.  But I feel really lucky and so fortunate to be living this life that I live.  Although there are some struggles, I am really lucky and I have so much to be thankful for.  I am not rich in money, by any means, but I am rich in love and experiences.

Okay, off to bed.  I need to get ready for the next week.  This Friday I am heading to Bucharest, Romania to check out another new place.  We will just be there Friday-Sunday, but it'll nice to be able to see a little bit of the country.

20 days till Hawaii.  Tomorrow will be 19!  I remember when it was 91 and I didn't know how I was going to make it!  Although, the closer it gets the more nervous I get.  I don't really know what to expect.  I have a lot things planned and I hope they go smoothly.  I also hope that I am not too exhausted! Usually when I get back to Hawaii, I spend the first week on the couch and sleeping, but there is no way that I can do that this trip!

Have a nice week guys and kalomina!

Before the Nafplio half.  Yahoo, friends to run with too!!!!


Before and after shot of the Athens Half Marathon.  I think you can tell who PRed and who didn't :)  Yah Jess!!!!!!!!

From this weekends race.  Fun times :)



Enjoying Schinas.  Didn't go in the water, but it was nice to be at the beach.  Thanks Kostas for being my right hand man!

1 comment: