Tuesday, December 5, 2017

Lanikai Update

Lanikai Triathlon was as great as everyone promised!  The racing was fun-but the most fun might have been the socializing afterward.  :)

First about the race.  So, it was a 500m swim, so not too far, which meant it was going to be fast.  I am not the fastest swimmer, but I am also not the slowest.  I've been swimming a bunch, especially since I had to take a break from running, so my swimming has really improved.  With the said, there are still swimmers that kick my butt in the water!

When the race started I found myself in the pack and I looking for some feet to pull on.  The men started 3 minutes before us, so within a couple of minutes, we were passing some of the slower swimmers.  I didn't really find my rhythm and I was just trying to hold a good pace, since I knew Lectie was going to have a strong swim (she ended up having the fastest swim split-including the men!)  When I got out of the water, I found myself next to a girl who started swimming with the Kailua Masters and who is WAY faster than me in the pool!  Just like with riding inside vs riding inside, there is a big difference in pool swimming vs ocean swimming.  I think each has it's place-but I think it's important to do both. Anyways, I came out of the water right with her--and then a bit ahead I saw Michelle (who also kicks my butt in the pool and ocean swims!).  When we got into transition I was right there with her.

Looking at the results after, I wasn't too far behind.  I still have some work to do to be more in the mix of it, but I am putting in the time!

Once we got out of transition we were out on the bikes.  I was excited about this ride.  I just felt I could have a strong ride.  There was a turn around spot about a mile or two into the race, so I was looking forward to seeing who was in front of me.  I saw Lectie and figured out she was about a minute ahead of me.  She is such a strong athlete!  It is so exciting to be racing her.  So I had that in mind while I was racing.  I also knew some of the men racing and I thought I could pass some of them so I had them to look for on the bike too.  I also knew that Michelle was behind me, so I didn't want her to pass me either!

The ride was pretty crowded since the women started 3 minutes behind and there were a lot of guys to pass.  I remember when I first started doing triathlons I was eager for the bike part to be over because so many people passed me, but now I look forward to it.  I have really gotten a lot stronger on my bike, especially since I wasn't running too.  My legs weren't as fatigued.

Anyways, as we were coming down the downhill I forced myself to stay aero.  This is another place I can improve.  I get really nervous riding down hills.  I just think bad thoughts and my life flashes in front of my eyes..but when it comes to racing I am more confident because there are other people around me doing the same thing, so I suck it up and go for it.

I got off the bike the same time as Michelle and onto the run we went.  My foot was still tender since my PF, so my running wasn't the strongest.  I felt tired on the run and I just wanted it to be over.  I don't like it when my triathlons feel like this.  It is such a contrast from when I started the sport.  It was during the run where I would pass the most people and rarely would I get passed.  That has changed and I don't like getting out run or passed but it happens more often.  But in the end, I can up second to Lectie.  Like I said before she is so strong, even at this distance. 

After the race, it was fun to hang out with friends and meet some other athletes.  Being around people who share the same passion as I just makes me so happy.  There is an energy about it that I just love.  Maybe it's the endorphins-but I just love seeing people work hard and enjoy being outside in Hawaii. 

Thank you all for making this such a great sport. 

No comments:

Post a Comment