Wednesday, December 6, 2017

Triahtlon and dating

Triathlon is not only a sport but a lifestyle.  At the age of 32 (almost 33), I find myself still single and wanting to find someone to share my life with.  I've always thought that I would end up with an athlete, specifically, a runner or a triathlete.  I've dated runners in college and most recently I dated triathletes and neither has worked out-each for different reasons.  One thing the relationships had in common was the triathletes were very passionate about their sport and their sport was their number 1 priority.  I too am very passionate about my sport, but I know that I can make my partner my number 1 while still being passionate about my sport.

I've also dated some non-runners or non-triathletes but there are times when I feel embarrassed when I have to explain to the person I am dating, that my workouts are like another job to me and that it is important that I am able to complete them.  They aren't something that I am going to skip to hang out and I guess I feel guilty about this.  I don't know.  Dating is such a hard thing.  I know the grass is always greener-but I am ready to find someone to start living life with. Someone who I want to make a priority and someone who wants to make me a priority.  It seems like such a simple task, but it isn't at all.  I've been on the dating apps, but I've had to take a break from them.  It wasn't fun anymore.  It was causing me more stress.  Ideally, I'd like to meet someone 'in real life' but almost all my friends are married or in a serious relationship, which means they aren't around single people very often, I live on an island, and I don't go out much.  Honestly, I can only think of one person that I could potentially date, but he is friends with both of my ex's...so that probably isn't the best idea.

Now, why am I am sharing this on my public blog--good question.  I guess I want to get in the habit of blogging again.  I want my blog to be about my life in triathlon and this is where I am right now.

I also sometimes get 'mad' at the sport.  In the past, I have felt like I've been dumped for a sport.  Why do people choose a sport over a person?  Why is a sport more important than a relationship with another human?  In my life, triathlon is important, but if I find someone that I want to be with-I know I would make them my number 1.  But guys are different.  Or maybe they aren't.  I guess the relationship didn't mean the same to them.  Or I've heard it many times, 'the timing wasn't right'.  I believe these words, but I've just heard them too often.

Anyways-in the meantime I will focus on myself and the things I can control.  I'm pretty excited that I was chosen to be a part of #teamWYN2018.  This is WYN Republic's inaugural team, so I feel pretty lucky to have made the cut.  I'm excited to make triathlon more than about myself and help my community and also the triathlon community.

No comments:

Post a Comment